Wednesday 18 July 2012

LIFE DRAWING CLUB AT POSERS, CAMBRIDGE


Now that my teaching term has ended for the summer, I have the time and energy to attend Posers life drawing club in Cambridge again.
Following on from my experimentation at recording form, purely from drawing, and implementing abstraction, ( Fitz and browns drawing trip ) I decided to get out of my comfort zone in the life drawing class, and detach myself from representing the literal, which is the omnipresent illustrator in me!

A fellow artists prescribed that I should get a big brush and set myself a time limit in order to keep a painting fresh, and, as this approach is something I greatly admire, and the results of which I love, I decided to have a go.
In order to do this I had to let go of the outcome, especially as I have have never tried this before.

I used my biggest flat chisel end brush, and took my glasses off, leaving my vision impaired to the point that no detail can be seen what so ever, this was a huge advantage, and the combination of eyes and brush forced me to make each brush stroke matter enormously, as it was required to describe a larger portion of the form.
I found this process fascinating, and a little frustrating, as I only had a quarter of an hour to get down all the information needed.

It also helped that I did a loose sketch first, as I'm not going to post the ones I attempted without this structural aid!  ; )



The 2 drawings below, are what I normally do in life drawing, very satisfying to do, but very literal, not that I think there's anything wrong with this, it's just that the time I have to do my own thing is more precious to me these  days than they used to be, so apart from the obvious need to practice, I want to try to do things that I haven't done before.



below are a couple of 5 minute drawings from the begining of last night's sessions



No comments:

Post a Comment